Sunday 5 April 2015

Happy Easter

I hope you're all enjoying an Easter break. We're having a lovely time with my mum and dad here for five days.


Yesterday we took a trip up the Kapiti Coast and went to Te Horo. It's a very stony beach with lots of driftwood, but funnily enough just 10 kms down the road there's another beach with beautiful white sand. I think the other beach is protected by Kapiti Island so there's less debris washed ashore.

me and mum

We also went to Ruth Pretty's Cooking School for coffee and cake. I love Ruth's Christmas cake, and fortunately they were still selling it by the slice in their garden cafe shop. We sat in the little green house for morning tea.

see the tea cosy they use!

Of course there's been plenty of sewing going on too.


What you see above turned into a one hour basket - yes, I followed the trend and got mum to whip one up based on the pattern by Kelby Sews. I bought some Soft and Stable on Wednesday so we used some of that for the stiffening.

Here's what it looks like now:



Mum bought me down some more of the beautiful California wool because I'm going to make a second ripple blanket. The second one will be slightly smaller than the first, and I will use it in the lounge on winter nights. We do have a heater, but I feel the cold more than the rest of the family. The second blanket will be more scrappy, incorporating all the remains from the first blanket, plus a few new wild colours called Circus and Macaw which you can see above.



Here's our progress to date and it's only Easter Sunday morning. Mum and Dad don't leave until Wednesday afternoon so there's plenty more sewing time yet.


In fact I can hear my machine whirring now because mum is making a second one hour basket for my niece, her granddaughter. I'll be sure to post a photo once it's finished.

10 comments:

Dasha said...

You have been productive! I love that basket, so thank you for the link. I will make one when I get home. I love the colours your Mum chose for hers.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your basket and the yarn is so pretty - what a cute cozy for the teapot. I bet it is so nice to have your parents visiting - the beach looks so nice.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Looks like you had a lovely time with your mom. And your project all are so nice. I just recently made 2 baskets for a quilting friend in our guild expecting twins.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

What a fun Easter break you are having, and the sun is shining brightly. Those are really nice baskets and look great for storage. How special to have a crafty Mum.( meaning that in a nice way) I hope you enjoy your time together

Lorraine said...

Sounds as if you are having an excellent visit! Love this basket - I want one!!! Happy Easter :)

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Wendy the basket is beautiful and I love the yarn!!!

Maryse said...

How wonderful! Looks like you had a pleasant and productive time with your mother. 

JanineMarie said...

I love how your basket looks with the band your mum sewed at the top. Is that an option in the pattern or did she add the step?

Mary Jane Robiony-Rogers said...

You're so lucky having your gorgeous mum.

patternsbyannie said...

I love the Hour Baskets and I love how Soft and Stable makes them look. Thanks for sharing!