Sunday 2 August 2015

Haunted House is finished!

I'm very excited to show you my finished Haunted House. I've been stitching this house on and off since Christmas, and have spent a lot of time over this past week assembling it.


It would be dwarfed by pumpkins, so here's an orange and mandarin for scale. I'm just posting a few photos of the finished house today. I'll write more details about the finishing in a future post (you can read that post here).


It's such a momentous day that I'll even include a photo of me with the haunted house! Sorry about the crazy hair - that's what you get in Wellington on a windy winters day.


I hope that this house will be treasured for many years to come, so I've put my name and the date on the bottom. That way people will remember who made it long after I'm gone. Clearly I've been watching too much of "Who do you think you are?" on the BBC Knowledge Channel.


You'll see that I had already made a mini quilt for the house to sit on when Halloween arrives. I bought those fabrics at Spotlight in October last year so the quilt was finished long before the house.


This is the back view.  Those candy corns look good enough to eat. Unfortunately we don't get candy corn in New Zealand, but I have tasted it, and I know it's delicious.


Last photo - just to show how the turret is attached on the front.

I love this house and I'm really pleased with my finishing this time.  I'm off to put my feet up and admire it now.

This was one of four things on my Finish A Long list for Q3 2015.

Some new close up photos added October 2016:





33 comments:

Julie said...

Well done Wendy - this looks fabulous. I would certainly never have the patience to make something like this. Yes it will be a treasured family heirloom.

Unknown said...

It looks fantastic Wendy. Well done.

margaret said...

Wendy this is a real work of love the family will all be wanting one when they see this me too


Helen said...

Looks fantastic Wendy !!

Wendy said...

It's fantastic. It looks so well put together and i love all the details

Manuela said...

Wow, it looks so fantastic.
All the buttons are so wonderful.
Greetings, Manuela

Maryse said...

It looks fantastic, beautiful work!!

Sandi said...

Lovely vignette with the house and quilt Wendy. The centre block with the haunted tree is gorgeous!

Not only is there candy corn but candy pumpkins! They are about the same size as the corn and same taste.

Do you have mini pie pumpkins? They would be great with your house...bu wait it is Spring when Halloeen occurs in New Zealand right?

Lorraine said...

Well done!

Gram999 said...

That looks fantastic. So many little details!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Very nice Wendy. With all the detail, I can see why it would take a while to complete (especially since you've been working on lots of beautiful quilts, too). I'd be happy to send you some candy corn when it is out in October!!

kack2 said...

The haunted house is so adorable, Wendy - congratulations on your finish! I have wanted to make it ever since I first saw it, but I know in my heart I would never get it done! You did a fabulous job with all the detail work. I just love it!!! Kathy in Fl, USA

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I love it. I've never seen cross stitch in 3-D like that. Plus all the cute buttons. Congrats on a great finish.

Jen said...

Wow super cute! I like the dancing skeletons and of course, all the intricate stitching!

Katie said...

Your house is just fabulous. Now I’m looking forward to Halloween! Hmmmmm. Must get sewing. :-)

Linda Steele said...

Love the haunted house, my kids would have loved it when they were little

Katrina said...

oh wow Wendy, look at the work and time you have put into the house! You must be so thrilled with it, well done!

Oops-Lah said...

Another one to join your fantastic collection. Which one will you tackle next?

HeathersSewingRoom said...

Well Done Wendy on a great finish. That is a lot to smile about to have something you have spent many hours come to completion.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is fabulous! An heirloom for sure!

Ruth said...

I love it! you finished it with oodles of time to spare too!

Carol Q said...

that is just fabulous Wendy - what more can you say!

D1-D2 said...

Congrats on the finish! It was featured on Inspirations Magazine's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CountryBumpkin.Publications?fref=photo

Von said...

Congratulations on finishing such an amazing project!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Its amazing and wonderful and simply stunning! Way to go Wendy!

Heide said...

This is just amazing! Love how it turned out.

Jenny said...

Wow - that's amazing. I have to say I have never seen anything like it.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Halloween house and mini and we are only in August. You are ready for October well ahead of time!

Linda H said...

Oh Wendy, this is sooooo Boootiful! You must be so happy with it - completion of a big project always feels so good! It was a lot of work and you have done a perfect job! Congrats!!

Rachel @ Quiltineering said...

It is truly beautiful - and so fun! I'm sure it will be treasured for many many years to come. I would be tempted to have it on display year round!

Staci said...

So much fun! I love cute Halloween things, and this is the best!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

This is an amazing piece of artwork Wendy, and a labour of love, I know. Hopefully you get lots of trick or treaters to admire it this year!

Patti P said...

That is just too cute!! I love it. A great accomplishment.