Sunday 14 August 2016

Wheel of Fortune pillow - designed by Jen Kingwell

Following straight on from my Small Wonders pillow finish last week, I've now just finished my Wheel of Fortune pillow.



The design is 22" square, so I decided to turn it into a mini quilt rather than make another large pillow.  I put a hanging sleeve on, so it can be hung on the wall like this:


or used as a table mat, like this:



I know you're always interested in how I approach things, so here's what I did:

1. I foundation paper pieced the coloured curved sections on my machine, as per the pattern in Quilt Lovely.



2. I hand pieced the coloured sections onto the grey background - only because I trusted my hand stitching more than my machine piecing when it comes to curves.

3. I then joined up the 16 square blocks as per the pattern.



4. I marked my quilting lines with chalk pencil and dinner plates, and hand quilted with Aurifil 12 wt and big stitches.

5. I applied the stripy binding and hanging sleeve.

The background fabric is Heath by Alexander Henry in black, although I'd personally call it grey.

I love this mini. and look forward to making even more things from Jen Kingwell's Quilt Lovely book.










14 comments:

Wendi said...

Your little quilt is pure perfection and so beautiful! I adore every inch!!

maggie fellow said...

beautiful and the gray makes it striking - thanks for sharing

Melody A. said...

what a fantastic quilt!! looks beautiful on the wall or on your table!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Lovely, Wendy.
A mini works well, even though I belong to the you-can-never-have too-many-cushions school of thought.
I thought I could machine piece some of Ms Kingwell's curves. I was wrong; your decision to hand piece was the right one.

Tilly said...

Beautiful quilt! and so perfectly made,love the used colors.

Susan said...

I love it as a mini too! The background fabric is perfect!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a pretty design to use in a wall hanging - love the colors and the quilting.

Linda said...

What a lovely quilt! Please use it as a wall hanging ( looks great in the photo) - far too beautiful to chance people spilling coffee onto it! Love your colour choices too.

Sandi said...

Lovely fabrics and colour choices. Thanks for the walk thru of your decision process!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

I love this as a mini quilt. The fabrics for the sashing and the circles are very nice. I'm having fabric envy!! I thinks scraps would do well in a quilt like this!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous, I love this mini! I'm adding it to my to-make list.

Wendy said...

it's really pretty! I've got some minis to hang, but have no idea how to do it. They have sleeves but I don't really know what for!

Suz J said...

Beautiful. There is just something about Heath that makes it perfect. I enjoy Jen's designs, but haven't succumbed to buying any patterns yet. How do you find them from a practical point of view?

Marie said...

So lovely. All that grey and yet it is still fresh and bright!