Tuesday 20 September 2016

Bloggers' Quilt Festival - Honeycomb Spin

Hello and welcome if you're visiting my blog for the first time. Yes, the Blogger's Quilt Festival is back - and this time it's for bloggers.



Back in May 2016 Amy decided to hold the festival on Instagram, but it just didn't have the same feel as the original Blogger's Quilt Festival.  I didn't get to read the stories behind the quilts, nor get to know the quilters in the same way. So I'm pleased it's back on blogs this time because I love finding new quilters online.

Here's my first entry. It's my Honeycomb Spin and it's in the Small Quilts category.





I made this quilt in a class at Nancy's Stitch Studio in Wellington, New Zealand.  The tutor was Anna Hicks and it was a very enjoyable class. We used the Modern Hexies technique made famous by Nicole from Modern Handcraft, but we finished them differently.


Laying the hexagons out neatly was the hardest part!


Once the hexagons were all glued into place we quilted in a spiral pattern which really gave the quilt texture and interest.


the back



We finished this quilt with facings rather than binding. It was an interest touch, and a new skill for me.

Finished size: 40" x 25"
Design: Anna Hicks

My other quilt in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival is my la passacaglia quilt and you can read about it here.



Voting isn't open just yet, but I really encourage you to go and check out all the other quilts in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival. More and more will be added to the linkups until entries close on 24 September. Then voting will be open from 25 - 30 September. Winners will be announced on 1 October.  It really is a great way to see a huge range of quilts from the comfort of your own home.

22 comments:

Maryse said...

I agree, I also prefer the online festival, just not the same on IG. Another beautiful quilt! Enjoy the Festival!!

Lilpuddin said...

Great quilt! I love the concentric circles quilt pattern, and the backing fabric is just perfect. Beautiful!

margaret said...

I must haave missed this quilt before but so glad I have seen it today and will be voting so beautifully made

Dasha said...

I missed this quilt before when you were making it Wendy. It is stunning! Love Instagram because its quick, but you are right, I like the story too.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

This is my favorite. I have only seen a few quilts with the circular quilting and have fallen in love with that process. I hope to one day do a spiral myself, after I get a few more years of quilting experience.

Glad to see your quilt and checked out your blog. I have started to follow you to see what other gems you have.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

the back is as pretty as the front!! Lovely.

Alison V. said...

This is gorgeous and very impressive!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! Oh, this is so beautiful! Hexagons are great and you have used fantastic colours! Spiral quilting is one of my favourites! I also absolutely like more this 'old style' quilt festival with stories behind the quilts. x Teje

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Those colors just sing!!

Robby said...

What a great name for a gorgeous quilt. That spiral quilting really makes an already pretty quilt a singular piece. Good luck!

Wendy said...

And that's exactly why i can't get into instagram - too superficial and not personal enough. Love this quilt.

audrey said...

Beautiful!

Kat said...

It looks awesome! Love the color fade from light to dark though the hexies.

Customieze said...

Beautiful quilt <3

Lena Pugacheva said...

The ombre background fabric and your use of color in hexagons just make it all glow! Absolutely gorgeous!

DanaK ~ WaterPenny said...

The design is so clever! i agree the instagram festival isn't as much fun - but I do feel bad for Amy this version seems like SOOO much work for her.

Preeti said...

Love, love, love this one. So neat, so fabulous and just darn awesome!!!
Preeti.

Kris said...

Oh wow I love this so much. I want to drop everything I am working on and make one of these!!! Lovely.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Your quilt is wonderful and your concentric circles are so even. Excellent job.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Oh, your quilt is so very interesting! What size is it? Is it meant for use or display? So you just glued the hexi's down and quilted to make them stay in place. Have any lifted up? Or aren't you concerned about that? Karen

Tiffany said...

This is so great! I can't believe I've never thought to quilt modern hexies this way!

Tiffany said...

This is so great! I can't believe I've never thought to quilt modern hexies this way!