Wednesday 4 October 2017

NZ Quilt Symposium

Tomorrow I'll be off to Christchurch for our national Quilt Symposium. The symposium consist of five days of classes and lectures, plus exhibitions.  There are plenty of international tutors and it's all going to be great.

Here's the flyer for the exhibitions which are spread around Christchurch.  I'll let you into a secret - my quilt is one of the ones shown on this poster!


I can't show you my whole quilt yet, but it will be on display at the Arts Centre in central Christchurch.  The Arts Centre was one many buildings that were badly damaged in the earthquakes, but it's progressively being strengthened and rebuilt.

part of the Arts Centre
photo by Greg O'Beirne, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3104764

We haven't had a symposium in New Zealand since the Manawatu symposium in January 2015, so it's been a while.  Back then I wasn't into quilting as much as I am now, so I just made a day visit to Palmerston North and visited the exhibitions and merchant mall that year.  I didn't take any classes, but I did do some shopping.

This year I've enrolled for four different classes, and three lectures!! Talk about busy.  I expect to come home exhausted, but that's OK - it only happens every two years.


My classes are:

1. A two day hand applique class with Jen Kingwell for her Green tea and Sweet Beans quilt.

2. A free motion quilting class with Deborah Louie from Australia.

3.  A foundation paper piecing class with Chris Jurd from Australia to make the Pickled Fish quilt on the cover of the Quilters Companion magazine above.

4.  Finally I'm taking another class with Jen Kingwell to learn hand piecing and start a glitter quilt for our bedroom (see top left in photo above).  I intend to use these fabrics below for it, so it will complement our new wall paper and curtains.



I'll also be attending lectures by Michele Hill (who I met a few weeks ago at the Craft and Quilt Fair), Jacquie Gering from USA, and Luke Haynes from USA.

I'm looking forward to meeting lots of people I talk to online - on Instagram, through my blog, and through facebook groups.  Please come up and say hello if you spot me before I spot you.

I won't have time to blog from Christchurch, but I certainly will tell you all about it when I get back, including details of my quilt in the exhibition.



7 comments:

Julie said...

Have a fabulous time, enjoy your classes and spend lots. Looking forward to seeing which quilt was yours, they all look a little different from your usual style.

Linda said...

Your post brought back fond memories of visits to the Arts Centre, the last was just three days before the 2011 earthquake struck. I am pleased to hear that it is being repaired and in use again. Enjoy the Symposium, all your classes and lectures, gazing at the quilts on display and, of course, a little shopping! Safe travels.

Jenny said...

I'm sure you will have a great time - very busy too with all you have arranged. Enjoy yourself and we will all look forward to reading all about your experiences on your return.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like you will be on quilt (information) overload by the time you are done. Have a great time!!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

Have fun at the Symposium and enjoy your classes. I plan on making the Glitter quilt also next year so I would appreciate any tips you learn from Jen.

OPQuilt said...

You took classes from some of my favorites--I can't wait until you write those up. I'd love to hear your take on Luke Haynes (a fav) and Jacquie, too (so talented). Sounds like a wonderful time!

Quilting Tangent said...

Are you posting about the Cotton Cuts – Through the Garden Gate Mystery Quilt – October 2017? Also your email is not working.
24Tangent@gmail.com